Share a VPN Connection Over a Wi-Fi Network at Home or in the Office
VPNs are great at protecting individual devices. For example, if you connect to a virtual private network on your smartphone, the internet activity you conduct on that phone becomes safe from prying eyes. But what if you want to protect all of your devices on the same network? That includes smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, smart technology, and streaming devices like Roku, Firestick, and Android TV.
The answer lies with HotBot VPN’s ability to allow users to share a VPN connection with an entire network from a personal computer. Here’s how to share your VPN connection from a Windows PC over wi-fi, by creating a “hotspot” or “virtual router”.
Set it up once and every device in your home can quickly connect to the internet using a VPN. This does not interfere with your existing wi-fi in any way.
You do need some hardware and software, first:
- A Windows PC with an internet connection.
- A wi-fi antenna (to broadcast). It should be built-in or plugged-in to your PC.
- HotBot VPN for Windows. You can download it here.
Step One: Create a Mobile Hotspot
Note: You will need a wi-fi adapter/dongle/antenna connected to your PC first.
If you are using a laptop, make sure the built-in adapter is turned on. Then you can create a mobile hotspot, or private wi-fi network, that can be used to connect wi-fi or Bluetooth devices to your HotBot VPN connection. Here’s how:
- Click the Windows Start Button > Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile hotspot.
- Turn Mobile hotspot on.
Step Two: Share a VPN Connection
Now, you need to share your HotBot VPN connection with the mobile hotspot you just created in Windows.
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Change Adapter Options. Alternately, click Change Adapter Options in the top-right corner of the mobile hotspot screen, under Related Settings.
- Find the adapter that contains HotBot VPN Adapter. This is your HotBot VPN connection.
a) Right-click on the correct adapter and select Properties.
b) Click the Sharing tab. Check the box labeled Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection. If there are any popups or warnings, hit OK.
c) Select the drop-down menu Home networking connection then choose the mobile hotspot you created in Step One. Select the adapter that contains the text “Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter.”
d) Click OK.
e) You have now shared your VPN connection with the mobile hotspot you created on your PC.
Step Three: Connect to a HotBot VPN Server
Next, just connect to any HotBot VPN server to get privacy on all devices connected to your mobile hotspot.
- Launch HotBot VPN in the Windows app.
- Connect to the server of your choice.
- Your Windows PC has now become a virtual wi-fi router protected with a VPN connection.
Step Four: Connect Your Devices
The only thing left to do is connect each of your devices to the new, VPN-protected wi-fi network. When searching for wi-fi networks on your device, you should see the mobile hotspot you created in Step One. Simply connect to it as you would any other wi-fi network.
Tip: Always make sure you connect your PC to a HotBot VPN server before connecting your wi-fi devices to the mobile hotspot. If you forget this step, your device will proceed to connect to your regular ISP.
How to Disable Your Virtual Router
If you want to disable your virtual router, take the following steps:
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile hotspot.
- Toggle Mobile hotspot to Off.