Review: Deluge Torrent Client
Deluge is a cross-platform BitTorrent client. It first hit the market in 2006, then received a stable release in 2019. The developers wrote the software in the Python coding language, and have made it free and open source. Users can download the client on a variety of operating systems. If you’re looking for a new torrenting client, check out our brief review of the Deluge torrent client.
- Device compatibility
- Set up guide
- Pros and cons
- Other tips
Currently, users can download Deluge for the most popular computer operating systems. Those systems include Windows, MacOS, and Linux. The Deluge torrent client is not available on mobile devices. However, torrenting on mobile is less popular than on desktop so the lack of a mobile app isn’t considered a con.
In addition, Deluge offers users three different types of functionality. Torrenters can use their software in browser, on desktop, or through the command line feature of their device, with the Console UI.
The Deluge software is open-source and free to use. The company behind the software considers it “lightweight” so it does not come with many features. Those who want a cheap torrenting option should be happy with Deluge. However, anyone interested in a feature-packed option should consider a different client, such as Vuze.
Because Deluge is a lightweight torrent content, it does not come with a ton of features. However, it does have all the necessary basics needed for simple torrenting. The software’s features include:
- Protocol encryption
- Local peer discovery
- Peer exchange
- Proxy support
- Web seeds,
- Global and per-torrent speed limits
In addition, Deluge uses the libtorrent library frequently. Although the Deluge software is basic, users can also expand its functionality with plug ins.
Set Up Guide
The Deluge torrent client is easy to download and install. Just follow these steps:
- Go to the Deluge website.
- Navigate to the Downloads tab. There, you can select which operating system you want to start the download on.
- From there, the user guide can help you navigate the installation process.
Pros and Cons
Like with every software, the Deluge torrent client has a number of pros and cons that users should be aware of. Here are just a few that you should know before downloading the client:
- Deluge is very simple to use.
- Users can increase the functionality of the software by installing a variety of plug ins.
- The client is cross-platform.
- Deluge is free to use.
- Because Deluge is open-source, it is subject to public scrutiny, which makes it somewhat more trustworthy than other free clients.
- The Deluge user interface looks sparse and somewhat outdated at first glance.
- Learning which plug ins you may need can be time consuming.
- Users who need a feature-packed torrent client will find Deluge to be too basic.
Depending on what you download, torrenting has the ability to get you in trouble. Users can avoid this trouble by using a VPN service while torrenting. VPNs encrypt your traffic and make you anonymous online, so downloads can’t be tracked back to you.
Picking a torrent client can be personal for every user. If Deluge doesn’t seem like the right fit, check out our reviews of these other torrent clients: